American Legion Post 229 Meeting Highlights: 12 Aug 2021
- Members discussed a funding cap for Commander’s discretionary expenditures. Implementation requires minor modification to By-Laws and a membership vote at the Sep. meeting.
- Next State Leadership Conference is scheduled for early October.
- Andy Haq Volunteered to lead preparations for Veteran Week activities.
- Honored Legacy continues to provide Jackets at birthdays for veteran participants over-65.
- Boy Scout Troop 201 provided 3 Scouts to assist a Veteran’s Mom’s move. They are also offering to build a trailer float for upcoming parades.
- Since last meeting, Post 229 Honor Guards participated in 9 Funerals and joined Post 237 in 7 additional funerals. Commander mentioned that District One may offer $125 for flag covers.
- Girl Scouts approved 1 Gold Award and a candidate is preparing a walking tour application of local Madison area.
- JROTC Advisory Council will hold their next meeting in January 2022. Members recently helped off load a trailer for an elderly person in Athens.
- Commander mentioned success of the State Baseball Tournament held in late July. He thanked Chris for his local support as an announcer at the games and posting of the American flag.
- Post members briefly discussed potential need for a Messaging Service.
- Trail of Tears bike ride support at Harley Davidson Shop on 18 Sep. Post 229 will again help sell T-shirts during the event and is expected to receive 15% of event profits for member support.
- Post 229 will host its first yard sale by post members on 25 Sep (Rain Date: 26 Sep). Location is still being worked.
- Adjutant is looking for volunteers for a scare crow display in October.
(Note: The Madison City Fall event originally scheduled for 2 Oct has now been cancelled.)